As you may know living in Germany presents some unique challenges for those of us who are living off base, such as having 220v outlets instead of the US 110v ones. Here is my list of my Must Have 220v Items for living in Germany, it may not be as many as your thinking…I’ve also included the best items that are Dual voltage and we didn’t even realize until we moved here!
Must Have 220v Items
These are the items that I use a lot and don’t want to haul around or use a transformer for them, so I just bought 220v versions.
1) Cordless Vacuum – Having tile/marble/wood floors in 98% of the house this is a must! Especially since I hate sweeping & mopping, this makes daily clean up a breeze! I ordered it from Amazon.de and had it delivered to my door.
2) Steam Mop – Again another must because I despise mopping! Another Amazon.de purchase.
3) Vacuum – Who wants to lug around a transformer while the vacuum…not this girl! We bought this used for $10 after we arrived. It’s ok but I’m not a fan of pulling the thing around…but that’s the style here in Europe. It also needs bags which I’m finding to be a hassle to locate so I may end up getting a bag less one in the near future.
4) Crockpot – I use this at least twice a week so it it makes sense to get a 220v to save on electricity. I scored it used for $15.
5) Xbox Power Cords – We have 2 Xbox’s so we decide it would be best to get the 220v power supply cords at Ramstein. They were $40 each but we’ll easily be able to resell them when we leave.
6) Small Appliances – Hand Mixer, Blender, sandwich maker, toaster oven, etc. I have been able to locate all these used for cheap, the blender was $10 everything else was $5 or less.
7) Sander – well I haven’t bought it yet but it’s on the must buy ASAP list! 😉
Dual Voltage Items (meaning they are 110v to 240v and can work here with a small adaptor) but do not require a transformer.
1) Our Apple products!! iPads, iMacs, iPhones, MacBooks, ect all work! So glad we’re an Apple family 😉 Bub does have a windows computer but we were able to locate a 220v power cord for it.
2) HP printer, I was so excited about this one! We use our printer a lot.
3) Silhouette Cameo, I was even more excited about this!! So glad I don’t need a transformer for this.
4) Canon Camera battery chargers! We have my DSLR and some point & shoots, just needing an adaptor makes it easy for traveling with them.